This trip is focused on offering a unique experience of Japanese architecture, arts and designs.
- Hakugin no Yu by the Architect Mr. Keigo Kuma in Ginzan Hot Springs (Yamagata). He is well known for designing the Saint-Denis Pleyel Metro de Paris.
- Domon Ken Museum built by the Architect Mr. Yoshio Taniguchi in Sakata city (Yamagata). He is well know for the re-design of the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York, and the new National Stadium for the Olympic Games in 2020 in Tokyo. He also received the Piranesi Prix de Roma Award in 2016.
- Echigo-Tsumari Art Field in Tokamachi City
Day 1: Tokyo – Ginzan Onsen
Hakugin no yu by Architect Mr. Keigo Kuma. This is a small communal bathhouse which has a unique triangular shape.
Stay in: a Japanese Inn (Ryokan) in Ginzan Hot Springs
Day 2: Ginzan Hot Springs – Sakata
Take the Mogami River Boat ride. You can enjoy the beautiful river valley and the boatman entertains you with traditional river songs and stories.
Free activity time in Sakata City. Enjoy exploring the city. There are excellent museums and gardens. Here you can also visit the Domon Ken Museum.
Stay in: a Western – style hotel in Sakata City
Day 3: Sakata – Ojiya City – Tokamachi
Stop by Ojiya City (Niigata). The city is famous for an abundance of beautiful Japanese carps (Koi fish).
Take the local train on the Hokuetsu Hokuhoku Line to Tokamachi. It has only one or two carriages and it is fun to be on the train.
Visit Echigo-Tsumari Art Field in Tokamachi City.
This is an amazing rural landscape of rice terraces, forested hills and small villages.
Stay in: an unique guest house in Tokamachi
Meals: breakfast and dinner
Day 4: Tokamachi – Kanazawa
Take another scenic local train for 16 minutes to Kanazawa.
Explore Kanazawa City. It’s full of historical monuments and modern museums.
Stay in: a Western – style hotel in Kanazawa
Day 5 Kanazawa – Tokyo
Back to Tokyo
- Orientation on the first day at your hotel
- 2 Nights at a Japanese – style Inn (Ryokan)
- 2 Nights at a Western – style hotel
- JR East Rail Pass 7 days (Ordinary class)
- Hanagasa bus fee
- Hokuetsu Hoku Hoku line
- Echigo Tokimeki Railway
- Hakugin no yu museum admission fee
- Mogami River cruise fee
- Domon Ken Museum admission fee
- Echigo-Tsumari Art Field admission fee
- Meals: 4 breakfasts and 2 dinners
- Accommodation in Tokyo
- International Air fare
- Food and drinks unless specified
- Travel insurance
- Taxi fee
- Guide fee
Any meal requests should be made in advance.
Extending the trip is possible
The tour schedule and price are subject to change without notice.
Single traveler, or any numbers of travelers are welcome.
We are happy to organize a customized trip for you.
Let us know if you already have a JR Rail Pass.